These blueberry muffins have been a family favourite long before I started adding gluten free flour to the original recipe tucked in my great Auntie Clara’s glorious wall of cookbooks.
A side note to my future husband that l will need a built-in bookcase alongside my kitchen counter, just like the one my great uncle built. Please!
- Few ingredients required
- Easily converts to gluten free
- Can effortlessly be made without a stand mixer, if needed
Above all this is a classic and quintessential blueberry muffin recipe. According to my dear great aunt, despite all of the muffin recipes archived on her bookshelves, she has been using this one for years.
As such, I have made an effort to keep my gluten free version very true to the simple blueberry muffins of my childhood.
- Added 1 more egg
- Used AP gluten-free flour
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Bake: 18-20 minutes
w e t
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup milk (of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
d r y
a d d
- 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prep a muffin tin with cupcake liners or parchment paper
- In a medium bowl add beaten eggs, oil, milk, vanilla – whisk until thoroughly combined
- Set aside the wet mixture
- In a large bowl add flour, baking powder, sugar – whisk until thoroughly combined
- Transfer the wet mixture to the dry mixture – lightly stir until just nearly combined (you should still be some flour)
- Gently fold in blueberries
- Divide batter evenly amongst muffin tins
- Bake for 18-20 mins or until a toothpick (insert in the centre) comes out clean – should be a light-golden brown
- Cool slightly (1-2 mins) before transferring onto a cooling rack
- serves 11 medium/large or 12 small/medium (GF flour tends to yield less)
- chose a Gluten Free flour with Xanthan Gum
- combined the wet to dry mixture using wooden spoon
- folded in blueberries with a spatula
- used a large cookie scoop to divide the batter
- can be made ahead and stored in airtight container – about 1 day prior
- freezes well in airtight container
If you have any questions about the recipe, feel free to leave a note in the comments section below.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a small commission. Products that are recommended are ones that I truly love or would purchase for a dear friend.