If you love lemon in baking as much as I do, then you may want to consider a batch of these gluten free and delightfully soft lemon drop cookies.
The original recipe for these cookies is straight from my Sweet Bake Shop book. I often refer to it as the sugar cookie bible.
A note that the recipe, that I am sharing below, yields a lot less than the original one. Often I cut recipes in half simply due to the lack of freezer space in my little kitchen.
- Light and chewy
- Just the right amount of lemon flavour
- Easily made ahead of time
From a cookie box to a tiered dessert stand, these gluten free lemon drop cookies continue to be enjoyed from winter to summer time! A warning that if you bring them to a party, they may disappear very quickly.
- Used AP gluten-free flour
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Bake: 9-10 minutes
d r y
- 1 + 1/4 cups gluten-free AP flour
- 1/2 + 1/8 cups gluten-free cake flour, sifted *
- 1/2 + 1/8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
* for cake flour: remove 2 Tablespoons of gluten-free AP flour and add 2 Tablespoons of corn starch
w e t
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 + 1/4 teaspoons pure, vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/4 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 + 1/2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the AP and cake flours, baking powder, salt – set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (with paddle attachment) beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed – until light and fluffy
- Add the egg – beat until blended
- Add the vanilla, lemon extract, lemon zest – beat until combined
- Stop mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with spatula and beat for additional 10 seconds, on medium speed – until blended
- Add flour mixture all at once and mix on low speed – until dough comes together
- Stop mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix until just combined, on low speed
- Scoop the dough (1 heaping Tablespoon at a time), roll into balls and place on baking sheets – 6 cookies per sheet
- Slightly flatten cookies with the palm of your hand
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 9-10 mins until cookies begin to set around the edges – avoid letting them brown
- Allow cookies to cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire racks to completely cool
- serves about 1-2 dozen small/medium cookies
- chose a Gluten Free flour with Xanthan Gum
- can be made ahead and stored in airtight container – about 5 days
- freezes well in airtight container
My simple pound cake is another baked treat with lemon.
If you have any questions about the recipe feel free to leave a note in the comments section below.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a small commission. Products that are recommended are ones that I truly love or would purchase for a dear friend.