This honey nuts and bolts recipe is basically a mildly sweet and gluten free version of one of my favourite childhood Christmas treats.
Sweetened with honey, this recipe is quite simple, makes a wonderful little gift and pairs perfectly with a Christmas movie.
Like pizzelles, this recipe stores very well and can definitely be made ahead of time. As such, my grandma and aunties usually make their nuts and bolts in November too.
- Can be made before December
- Mildly sweet and savoury
- No refined sugars
I made these honey nuts and bolts last year and to say that it went over well would be a giant understatement!
- Prep: 35 minutes
- Bake: 32-40 minutes (int total)
d r y
- 2 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups Crispix
- 1 cup Corn Squares
- 1 cup Cheerios
- 1 + 1/2 cups gluten-free mini pretzels
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon salt
w e t
- 1/2 butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- In a very large bowl add the cereals, pretzels, nuts, and salt – toss to combine
- Set aside the dry mixture
- In a medium bowl add the butter and honey – whisk until thoroughly combined
- Pour the wet over the dry mixture – stir until evenly coated
- Divide coated mixture between two roasting pans (or one large pan)
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Remove from the oven (do not turn off)
- Stir the mixture and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes – until browned and crisp
- Let cool completely before storing in airtight containers
- serves about 12
- stored in glass jars or tins lined with parchment paper
- keeps for up to 2 weeks
If you have any questions feel free to leave a note in the comments section below.