This banana bread is gluten free revision, based on Joanna Gaines’s recipe from Magnolia Table. When I have an overly ripe bunch of bananas, and don’t need to freeze any more for smoothies, it’s the recipe that I turn to.
- Freezes and stores well
- Can be made ahead of time
Fresh from the oven or freezer, these banana bread squares make a wonderful breakfast, brunch, snack, or tea time addition. I personally keep returning to this particular recipe as I love that when made in a square pan you get these wonderful squares that are so easy to slice.
- Reduced brown sugar
- Used unsalted butter
- Used gluten free AP flour
- Added extra egg
- Reduced baking soda
- Added baking powder
- Omitted granulated sugar
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Bake: 25-30 minutes
w e t
- 1/2 cup olive oil or melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 very ripe bananas (I slightly mash mine)
d r y
- 1 3/4 cups GF all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper
- In a stand mixer (with paddle attachment) beat the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and bananas – until combined
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients – mix until combined
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan – spread evenly with spatula
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until a toothpick (insert in the middle) comes out clean
- Cool slightly (5-8 mins) before transferring onto a cooling rack
- serves about 8
- olive, canola, or melted coconut oil work well as butter substitutes
- suggest pairing with peanut butter + honey/jam
- feel free to increase sugar if bananas are moderately ripe
If you love banana bread as much as I do, then you may also want to try these gluten free soft and simple breakfast cookies.
If you have any questions about the recipe feel free to leave a note in the comments section below.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a small commission. Products that are recommended are ones that I truly love or would purchase for a dear friend.