I like to think of these spiced zucchini and carrot loaf squares as a zucchini bread and carrot cake hybrid. The recipe found me on Pinterest and I am very glad that it did. It really is a perfect end of summer and/or pre-fall treat!
After some modifications, from the original recipe, I am now slightly obsessed.
- A very simple bake
- Seriously scrumptious
This recipe has become my favourite way to enjoy the many gifts of zucchini season. In the case of this summer my (Italian) auntie wouldn’t allow me to leave her garden without a box full. By this summer, I really mean every summer.
A note that this can be baked in a traditional 9×5 loaf pan (I’ve done both) but I have found that an 8×8 pan (as shown in the photos) tends to be a bit more forgiving. If you are like me and are terrible at cutting bread, this is significantly easier in terms of dividing up the baked treat. Trust me!
- Used AP gluten-free flour
- Added extra egg
- Increased cinnamon
- Used Allspice
- Used olive oil
- Reduced sugar
- Increased zucchini
- Omitted cranberries
- Omitted walnuts
- Omitted orange zest
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Bake: 30-35 minutes
d r y
- 1 + 1/2 cups AP gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 + 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice (or nutmeg)
w e t
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (or vegetable)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 + 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
a d d i n
- 1 + 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, Allspice – whisk until thoroughly combined
- Set aside the mixture
- In a stand mixer (with paddle attachment) beat the oil, sugars, eggs, vanilla – mix until combined
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients – mix until just combined
- Fold in zucchini and carrots with a spatula
- Pour batter into lined pan
- Bake for 30-35 mins until a wooden toothpick (insert in the middle) comes out clean
- Cool slightly (5-10 mins) before transferring onto a cooling rack
- serves about 8
- chose a Gluten Free flour with Xanthan Gum
- freezes well in an airtight container
- suggest pairing with butter + honey
Similar to the spiced zucchini and carrot loaf, these banana bread squares are also a simple and versatile baked treat.
If you have any questions about the recipe feel free to leave a note in the comments section below.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a small commission. Products that are recommended are ones that I truly love or would would purchase for a dear friend.