It’s that time of year when I bring out my Set for the Holidays book by the wonderful Anna Olson. On that note, I am choosing to begin the Christmas baking season with my favourite recipe for chocolate oatmeal coconut cookies.
- Extra chocolatey
- Delightfully simple
- No dough chilling required
A note that the recipe, that I am sharing below, yields a lot less than the original one. Often I cut recipes in half simply due to the lack of freezer space in my little kitchen.
- Used GF all purpose flour
- Omitted dried cranberries
- Used shredded unsweetened coconut
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Bake: 10-12 minutes
w e t
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 small egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
d r y
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons GF all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt or fleur de sel)
- 3/4 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened or sweetened)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer with paddle attachment) add butter and brown sugar – beat until well blended (the mixture will not be creamy or fluffy)
- Beat in the egg and then vanilla
- Sift the cocoa, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt over the bowl – stir into the butter mixture
- Stir in the oats until they are well coated with batter
- Stir in the chocolate chips and coconut
- Drop the dough (size of 2 teaspoons) roughly 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet – press down a little with the palm of your hand
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 10-12 mins – until they lose their shine at the edges
- Let cool on the trays on wire racks
- serves about 2 dozen small/medium cookies (GF flour tends to yield less)
- chose a Gluten Free flour with Xanthan Gum
- used a small cookie scoop and slightly pressed down on dough
- can be made ahead and stored in airtight container – about 2 days prior
- freezes well in airtight container
For additional gluten free cookies, to be enjoyed during the holiday season, view my roundup.
If you have any questions about this recipe for chocolate coconut oatmeal cookies feel free to leave a note in the comments section below.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a small commission. Products that are recommended are ones that I truly love or would purchase for a dear friend.